The Story behind the Stories

When Jake was three, he was diagnosed with a nasal encephalocoele which required brain surgery. Ever since then, he has struggled to catch up academically, but his heart is one of the purest I have ever known. Because his brain didn't process well, he never learned stranger anxiety and most of the time doesn't fear anything. I started these as a way to remember all the things he says and does that are so very different from my other children. The aftermath of that brain surgery has been ADD and epilepsy, which he has also taken in stride. He is a joy most of the time, I only wish people could appreciate his uniqueness and spirit, rather than wanting him to fit into a mold.

Friday, June 25, 2004

Whatsoever you do…

October 7, 2001
Three days ago, I got a new Prizm and traded in my repair-plagued Jeep. All the trips to the dealership were costing more than my car payment, so I opted to use that 0% financing and buy a new one. I feel I have spent more than my share of time in the company of the tow-truck driver.

On Saturday, Josh had basketball practice and I had to go back across town to pick him up when it was over. As I was leaving, I told Jake to get in the car. The temperature was dropping and he had muddy shoes, so I had him take them off and get in. Once we got to the school, it seemed to be taking a long time for Josh to come out, so I turned off the car and left Jacob inside while I ran into the building.

When I came out, he had climbed into the backseat and was playing with come cards I had brought. When I tried to start the car, it would not start. They key in the ignition would not move. This in my brand-new car! The reality finally sunk in that we were going to have to walk to the nearest phone - a fire station about 4 blocks up. So I wrapped up both boys in blankets and took off my shoes - giving them to Jake to walk on the sidewalk.

Once we got there the firemen, Scott and Daryl, were friendly and hospitable. I tried to get the boys to sit quietly and wait while I dialed into the roadside assistance line. It worked for about two minutes - until the firemen removed a sausage pizza from the oven. Jake got up and watched the first man start to eat. I told him to sit - but to no avail. He said " Boy, that sure looks good. I am really hungry". So the kind firemen offered Jake a piece - then Josh. No point in trying to teach manners when you have two hungry boys.

Those two men made the kids really feel at home. The told the boys about the other fire stations in town and that they no longer had a dog – but did have a nice cast-iron one out in front of the station. When Jake realized that there was only one piece of pizza left, he asked how many pieces other people had already had - in the hope that he would get the last piece. Scott told him it was spoken for, but got him some water to wash it all down. They even let him look at the fire truck. Pretty cool. One of the guys admired his lovely shoes and remarked that he should consider wearing them to school. Jake blushed and said they were yucky girl shoes!

We walked back down to the church and waited for the tow truck. The boys sat in the vestibule where it was warm and I went into the chapel. It was a nice spot - and Jake came in, genuflecting in front of the tiny alter. He thought it would be cool to sleep there. He wrapped up on the blanket and lay down on the ground.

Once the tow truck came, we all loaded up and dropped off the car. The driver then asked if he could call us a cab - but the dispatcher told him to just take us home. What a blessing to be in town when the car doesn't work.

I will say as my own little commentary to this story, that even though the irony of having the new car towed after only three days was a bit overwhelming; at every opportunity God placed someone in our path who was compassionate and kind to us - offering us food, a phone, a warm place to sit and a ride home. This is miraculous because I was barefoot - Jake and I were both dirty (I had been cleaning house) and none of us had a coat - only my old Indian blankets from the trunk!! What a site we must have been.


No comments:

About Me

Mother to 3 wonderous young adults, dreamer, daughter, and still in search of love's elusive gifts