The Story behind the Stories

When Jake was three, he was diagnosed with a nasal encephalocoele which required brain surgery. Ever since then, he has struggled to catch up academically, but his heart is one of the purest I have ever known. Because his brain didn't process well, he never learned stranger anxiety and most of the time doesn't fear anything. I started these as a way to remember all the things he says and does that are so very different from my other children. The aftermath of that brain surgery has been ADD and epilepsy, which he has also taken in stride. He is a joy most of the time, I only wish people could appreciate his uniqueness and spirit, rather than wanting him to fit into a mold.

Thursday, June 24, 2004

The King of Demolition

As the third child, I thought I was prepared for Jacob. The seizures had left his ability to focus and understand things impaired, so I never knew what he would do next.

When he was about two and a half, I put him in front of Winnie the Pooh and went up to the bathroom. Usually, I kept him within earshot so that if he got into something, the damage would be minimal. Using the restroom was risky, because it was not always desirable to have a two-ear old in the potty. When I came down the stairs, I found Jacob in the living room in a pile of sugar and two lemons with a knife in them. One of the lemons had actually been sawed in half and the other had been skewered with a steak knife. "I was making lemonade like you, Mamma."

This would be enough for most people, but not Jake. In the process of getting out the knife, he knocked over all of the dishes drying on the counter, breaking a couple of glasses. Most of the items that were in the pantry with the sugar, including a container of oatmeal, were spilling out of the cabinet. The refrigerator was still open – with tea produce drawer still pulled out propping open the door.

No comments:

About Me

Mother to 3 wonderous young adults, dreamer, daughter, and still in search of love's elusive gifts