The Story behind the Stories

When Jake was three, he was diagnosed with a nasal encephalocoele which required brain surgery. Ever since then, he has struggled to catch up academically, but his heart is one of the purest I have ever known. Because his brain didn't process well, he never learned stranger anxiety and most of the time doesn't fear anything. I started these as a way to remember all the things he says and does that are so very different from my other children. The aftermath of that brain surgery has been ADD and epilepsy, which he has also taken in stride. He is a joy most of the time, I only wish people could appreciate his uniqueness and spirit, rather than wanting him to fit into a mold.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

How you know if you're rich

This morning as I struggled to wake up, Jake comes hopping into my room - red shirt blazing the retinas of my eyes. He asks if he can have some money today for school, I make the fatal error of asking why. He tells me that he would like to buy ice cream at lunch today - that all the rich kids get to buy ice cream at school. I remind him of the Breyers he had just before bed last night- and he says "well, we have more ice cream here than they do at school, I guess we are richer than I thought"

Yep, buddy, we sure are.

No comments:

About Me

Mother to 3 wonderous young adults, dreamer, daughter, and still in search of love's elusive gifts