The Story behind the Stories

When Jake was three, he was diagnosed with a nasal encephalocoele which required brain surgery. Ever since then, he has struggled to catch up academically, but his heart is one of the purest I have ever known. Because his brain didn't process well, he never learned stranger anxiety and most of the time doesn't fear anything. I started these as a way to remember all the things he says and does that are so very different from my other children. The aftermath of that brain surgery has been ADD and epilepsy, which he has also taken in stride. He is a joy most of the time, I only wish people could appreciate his uniqueness and spirit, rather than wanting him to fit into a mold.

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

John Travolta has Nothing on me

During the first week of school, Jacob decided to establish himself as popular. Apparently, in the Fourth Grade, this has a lot to do with what he wears. We have now had several mornings in a row where I just could not let him leave in the attire he had on – too small, too short, just too weird – even for a mom who can barely match her own clothes.

Last Wednesday, Jacob had on an atrocious outfit, blue nylon gym pants that were at least two sizes too small, giving the appearance of a stuffed sausage and a black shirt which was also too small. As he ate breakfast, I brought clothes to change into. While putting on the shirt he told me:
“Well, there goes my being popular. A guy can’t be popular with this shirt on.” I asked why not and he just shook his head. A minute or so later, when I brought in his socks he told me:
“I picked out my wife”
“Do many kids in your class have their wives picked out?” I asked, about to drop my teeth.
“No, just a couple of us.”
“Who is she?”
To protect his future, I will not tell you the little lassie’s name, but it is not the same girl he was in love with last year. “Even if she doesn’t like the shirt, I still have some dance moves that will keep me popular.” At this he looked me straight in the eye and said “ I have some great moves and girls like it if you can dance”

No comments:

About Me

Mother to 3 wonderous young adults, dreamer, daughter, and still in search of love's elusive gifts